Sustainability is never far from the top of our agenda. We owe a lot to Mother Nature and while we might not be perfect, we always strive to do what's best for her. From recycling, to creating our very own peat-free compost we try to do our bit to keep our planet green. The smallest of changes can make the biggest difference and that's why we're committed to doing all we can. It's our way of saying thank you.
Here's how we're currently trying to make a difference...
"We are very proud of being the first Garden Centre group to become a full member of the Growing Media Initiative. Our commitment to improving the quality of our growing media lies hand in hand with our dedication to providing quality garden products for our environmentally conscious customers."
Julie Murray, Marketing Director of Notcutts.
- Our commitment to reducing the use of peat has earned us full membership status of the Growing Media Initiative (GMI). This means that at least 55% of our growing media and soil improvers are peat-free
- In April 2012 we launched our very own peat-free compost
- We're consistently working on reducing our use of peat-based products. Watch this space for more updates!
There are many ways to garden. Some gardeners love to grow their garden organically and others like to have a helping hand. We aim to offer you a variety of garden care products to help you tend to your plants, vegetables and lawn. Whether you prefer to grow organically or with the use of chemicals, you can find the products you prefer at Notcutts.
- We offer a variety of solutions from organic and natural to man-made
- We’re always striving to minimise the use of PVC across all of our product ranges
We want our business to have the minimum possible impact on the environment. We always have our eagle eyes out for initiatives that reduce waste and maximise recycling. So far we have...
- Introduced recyclable and degradable carrier bags
- (Even better!) introduced reusable Jute bags
- Committed to recycling 75% of waste from our garden centres
Protecting endangered forests
Although you will find some soft and hard wood products in our garden centres and online, we are committed to helping preserve our endangered forests. To give something back we have worked hard to employ the best practice to preserve our endangered resources.
- Look out for our FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council) certified products which are identified by the FSC logo.
- June 2011, Ethical Consumer Magazine recognised Notcutts as the highest scoring company for its ethically sourced wood furniture.
As part of our effort to reduce our carbon footprint, we source products locally whenever possible. From our plants, right up to our food ranges, we are committed to bringing you locally sourced products.
- 94% of our plants are sourced in the UK, of which 40% are grown within 10 miles of our Head Office in Woodbridge
- In our garden centres we supply locally sourced cakes, jams, eggs, chutneys and beers
- In our restaurants, we are proud to have won a Silver ‘Eggsellence Award’ from the British Hen Welfare Trust for using only British free range eggs in all our home baked food
We take very seriously the rights of all workers involved in bringing our products to the Garden Centres. We have an audit process in place, which is conducted yearly, to ensure all our suppliers are compliant, not just with the Modern Slavery Act, but also have good working conditions and employment practices.